The Commission for Narcotic Drugs presents an important opportunity to increase support for harm reduction and human rights in the international drug policy system. This year, Harm Reduction International will be using this opportunity to shape preparations for the 2019 High Level Segment and to begin planning with key governments and allies on how to use the 2019 process to move international drug policy, and funding, away from punitive drug control.
Harm Reduction International will lead or present at the following:
- Collaboration between governments and civil society for new drug policies that prioritise health and communities - Mon 12 March, 2.20pm
- Harm Reduction Champions Network breakfast meeting Tue 14 March, 8.30am (invitation only)
- Harm Reduction: Experiences from Different Regions, Shaping Policy Recommendations - Tue 13 March 6pm (invitation only)
- The urgent need for harm reduction funding: scaling up evidence based interventions for people who use drugs - Wed 14 March, 1.10pm
- Site visit for CND delegates to Vienna-based harm reduction provider Suchthilfe - Thur 15 March, 9.30am.
- The death penalty for drug offences from UNGASS to 2019 - Thur 15 March, 2.20pm. At this side event, we will launch our new research The Death Penalty for Drug Offences: Global Overview 2017.
To find out more about our death penalty and harm reduction advocacy at CND, and for full details of our events, please download our CND briefing.