We are currently seeking to recruit a full-time Human Rights Coordinator to join our Human Rights and Justice team for a period of six months.
Founded in 1996, Harm Reduction International is a leading NGO dedicated to reducing the negative health, social and legal impacts of drug use and drug policy. We promote the rights of people who use drugs and their communities through research and advocacy to help achieve a world where drug policies and laws contribute to healthier, safer societies.
Our Human Rights and Justice team monitors rights abuses committed globally in the name of drug control, and advocates to promote the human rights of people who use drugs and their communities. Since 2007, we have conducted targeted research and advocacy on the death penalty for drug offences.
The successful candidate will be an integral part of the Human Rights and Justice team, supporting the delivery of research outputs and advocacy initiatives, as well as providing administrative support.
- Monitor the use of capital punishment for drug offences around the world;
- Follow and report on UN human rights processes relevant to the work of the organisation;
- Carry out desk-based research – as relevant – on the death penalty, the human rights of people who use drugs, and other issues at the intersection of human rights and drug policy.
Project, operations and administration (50%)
- Assist in the preparation and logistical planning of meetings, seminars, workshops and other activities that the Human Rights and Justice team participate in;
- Organise and coordinate travel for HRI staff, consultants and external participants;
- Provide general administrative support to HRI staff as needed, including by attending meetings, tracking programme activities and deadlines, and providing support with reporting.
Support to advocacy and campaigning (25%):
- Draft, edit, and support the production of reports, advocacy briefings, blog posts and position statements;
- Track and identify advocacy opportunities at international and regional levels.
- Strong interest in human rights, drug policy, and advocacy processes;
- Study and/or work experience of 2 years or more in human rights, drug policy, or related fields;
- Experience with desk-based research, monitoring, and data gathering;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Experience providing planning, logistical, and administrative support;
- Flexibility and ability to work independently, and to juggle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Understanding of the UN system, and working knowledge of UN agencies and processes related to human rights and drug policy;
- Experience designing briefings and other materials;
- Fluency in a second language;
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant field, or equivalent experience.
Salary: £21-23,000 per annum, equivalent, depending on experience.
Location: The post will be based at the HRI office in London. We can only accept applications from candidates who already have the right to live and work in the UK.
Application details: This is full-time contract for a period of six months, to start as soon as possible. Please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of ‘[NAME] - Application Human Rights Coordinator.’ We are accepting applications on a rolling basis, with a first review date of 18 April 2019.
Harm Reduction International is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including people living with HIV and people who use drugs.