We are currently seeking to recruit a consultant to conduct research for the Asia chapter of the Global State of Harm Reduction Report 2020.
Founded in 1996, Harm Reduction International is a leading NGO dedicated to reducing the negative health, social and legal impacts of drug use and drug policy. We promote the rights of people who use drugs and their communities through research and advocacy to help achieve a world where drug policies and laws contribute to healthier, safer societies.
HRI’s independent analysis focuses on the uptake of harm reduction approaches worldwide, both in terms of policy and service delivery, to support advocacy in the scale-up of harm reduction. Further, HRI tracks innovative harm reduction programs for particular populations of people who use drugs, including women and people in prison. HRI’s monitoring of trends in harm reduction helps to inform the evidence-base in this area and serves as a resource for people working in the fields of public health, human rights and drug use.
The Consultant will work with the Deputy Director and Research Analyst of the Public Health and Social Policy team (‘PHSP team’) to contribute to the Global State of Harm Reduction 2020 report.
The PHSP team conducts original research and analysis to track developments in harm reduction and ensure people who use drugs have the health and social services they need.
The Consultant will:
1. Liaise with key stakeholders in countries within Asia and carry out desk-based research to provide HRI with regional and national information on harm reduction developments to inform the development of the 2020 edition of the Global State of Harm Reductionreport.
2. Develop a list of key stakeholders at national and regional level in Asia that will be consulted as part of the data-gathering process
3. Review and comment on a table compiling national data on injecting drug use, HIV and viral hepatitis and key harm reduction interventions
4. Provide in-depth and thoroughly researched responses to a survey on developments in harm reduction policy, funding and practice in countries within the region since 2018
5. Draft the Asia regional chapter for the Global State of Harm Reduction 2020 for submission to HRI (using a template provided by HRI) aggregating, analysing and summarising the findings on developments in harm reduction policy, funding and practice in countries within the region since 2018 (6000-6500 words)
6. Identify two key issues/topics and provide 500-700word textboxes on these for inclusion in the Asia regional chapter of the report
7. The consultant will review recently published literature (including academic journal articlesand grey literature such as UN and civil society reports) and consult national contactsand key stakeholders at the regionallevel (including networks of people who use drugs where they exist).
1. A strong commitment to harm reduction, public health, human rights, and social justice.
2. Minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience in one or more of the following fields at regional or international level: harm reduction; public health, HIV and/or communicable diseases; drug policy reform; or poverty reduction, within one or more countries in Asia.
3. Ability to work independently.
4. Excellent spoken and written English, and presentation skills.
Salary: commensurate with experience
Location: The post will be home based.
Application details: Please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of ‘Application Consultant Asia Region GSHR 2020’ before midnight on March 31, 2020.
Harm Reduction International is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including people living with HIV and people who use drugs.